There are too many hospital bag lists available online, you can find it on Pinterest, or any motherhood related website. I remember my first time packing a hospital bag during my first pregnancy, following those online checklist from overseas, it was an awful experience.
So, if you are a first time mom and reading this , you are lucky ! This is my second pregnancy and I am going to share with all the mommies out there the PRACTICAL hospital bag checklist for mommies who are going to deliver in any private or government hospital in Malaysia. You may adjust it according to your own needs.
So, based on my experience, these are the real useful things you need and they can all fit in a cabin bag 23cm x 36cm x 56cm.
The Malaysian’s Hospital Bag Checklist (for baby and mommies)
- Your documents such as IC , hospital appointment cards/ admission letter/ , Rekod Kesihatan Ibu (the pink book)
- Your baby’s cordblood banking bag
- Any brand of menstrual pad that you have used before your pregnancy. The maternity pad is not recommended, I can assure you any menstrual pad will be better than the maternity pad.
- Comfortable underwear/ disposable underwear
- Maternity bras for breastfeeding
- Comfortable long pants / loose clothing (for going home)
- Baby wipes
- 1x Baby swaddle / onesies
- 1x Baby Blanket
- Newborn Baby Diapers
- Postpartum wrap/ bengkung (for natural birth, you may start wearing it on the second day, for c-sec you may use it to support your wound)
- Newborn milk powder (Government hospital will encourage breastfeeding therefore if you are worry that you might not have enough milk supply, bring your own milk powder. Whereas private hospital will provide milk powder, bring your own if you have a preferred milk powder brand)
- Disposable breast pads
- Phone and phone charger
- Sandals for socks / flat shoes
- Warm flask
- headband / rubberband
- Breast Pumps & milk storage bottles
- Baby feeding bottles (bring 2 different brands in case your baby is being a little choosy）
- A cardigan/ pillow for a better sleep at night (optional)
- Towel will be provided by the hospital, so it is up to you whether to bring your own or use the free towel provided.
- Nursing pillow
- supplements such as Rosy Time, Millenium, Calcium, Lecithin ，SWS 产后调理丸
- Tea for milk boosting such as 炒米茶，SWS妈妈奶茶，SWS调补养生茶
- Baby car seat (for going home)
- lip balm (hospitals are very dry)
- hair dryer
The Malaysian’s Hospital Bag Checklist (for partner)
- Phone and Charger
- 4-5 outfits (during Covid-time)
When to pack a hospital bag?
I suggest to start planning at week 28 to allow sufficient time for preparation. I’d recommend packing at week 35 because some mothers will deliver somewhere before week 36 and 38 weeks.
Here are some recommended brands for your breast pump, confinement herbs and baby’s products, hope it helps!
Cordblood collection kit
All the best mommies, I pray for your safe and smooth delivery and may God bless you with a healthy and happy baby.